Monday, November 28, 2011

Getting Back That Swagger



As I navigated myself through the winding tunnel of Lincoln Financial Field, I heard the roar of sixty-eight thousand Philadelphians cheering in unison. I looked up at the nearest screen and saw a 6-0 board. Then 7-0. I couldn’t believe they scored before I got to my seat. Everyone was already descending into a drunken celebration; some kind of flare or rocket went off above my head, fans in green were harassing fans in blue, this was hostile territory to say the least. Then, finally outside, I made my way down the steps towards row 11, and any anxiety I felt about their quick touchdown faded away. I saw Brady walking out onto the field, and that was it. His swagger was back. I could tell Tom Brady didn’t journey to South Philadelphia to play four quarters of football -- he came to play three. And that’s what he did; three quarters of unstoppable football, followed by a fourth quarter of rest and relaxation on the sidelines.



Eagles fans were completely bewildered by the animal that is Wes Welker. Every ball he caught was followed by a collective silence of confusion, as if every fan at the Linc was wondering the same thing about him: What are you, Where did you come from, and What are you doing here? I was half-expecting Wes to step up to a podium and give an answer: “My name is Wes Welker, I’m from New England, and I came here to end your season. Happy thanksgiving.” It was fascinating to witness the inability of Eagles fans to wrap their heads around Wes, especially given the running and receiving talent they have on their squad. Perhaps if the fans in attendance weren’t so busy rooting for Brady to get brutally hit on every throw, they could’ve spent some time online Googling ‘Best Receivers Ever,’ because I’m sure they would’ve seen Welker’s picture and they’d have known what to expect. Instead they were blindsided, and only now -- at the end -- do they know.



But I digress.

Back to the swagger. It was in full effect -- and with a vengeance. The Patriots looked strong, united, and swift. They were efficient and cunning, cohesive and violent. They were mentally tough, and they were physically tough. Every time Tom Brady waltzed on to the field, he did so with purpose. If you listen to Brady’s post-game pressers and his weekly interviews on WEEI, you know he’s horrifically disappointed every time he walks off the field without a touchdown -- it gives him insomnia. But he doesn’t always show that side of him during a game. In fact, that has been one of my criticisms throughout the year about him; his lack of urgency, waiting for him to get back that hunger to pile TD’s on top of each other and play games from ahead. Last night, on the very rare times the Patriots came-up empty-handed, Brady was visibly upset and it looked like he didn’t want to leave the field yet. I’ve been waiting all year for that. The will to put 7 on the board, do it again, do it again, and do it again, and suck the life out of the other team. It happened last night, and it was something marvelous to watch from only a few feet away.