Sunday, November 6, 2011

Ghosts

The Ochocinco Situation came into clearer focus today. It was the first time I’d ever seen #12 scold #85 on the sidelines, and that spoke volumes. Prior to that, #12 was very careful in his public approach to the situation. I think that might be over.

Tom Brady was very interesting to watch today. He was irritated throughout the entire game, but the cause of his frustration is up for speculation. In terms of being flustered by a defense, one could argue that he’s seen worse this season. He shunned several teammates, at one point giving a fist-pound that he didn’t look totally comfortable giving. He body-slammed a Gatorade bottle, he sorta drifted through the game like a ghost, and he looked even more uncomfortable than usual at the post-game Dunkin’ Donuts podium.

I don’t know Tom Brady personally, but I’m pretty sure I can tell when he’s not completely telling the truth. A few times now I’ve heard him claim that the Super Bowl loss to the Giants is in the past, he’s had his time to grieve, and he’s over that now. I don’t think that’s true. What I saw today was a man who did not want to be on the field with the New York Giants in any way, shape, or form. Prior to the game, he had a look in his eyes that I initially deciphered as total hatred. In part, I think I was correct, but now it seems it was total hatred mixed with a desire for total avoidance. There is something about the New York Giants that affects Brady deeply to the point where I’m not convinced he wanted to play today.

The intensity of New England’s rivalry with the Giants is questionable, considering that this was the first time they played each other in over three years -- a time span in which neither team has won a playoff game. Other rivals, like the Ravens and Steelers and Jets, are far more visible and on-the-radar. Four years ago, heading into Super Bowl XLII, there was a feeling in the air that the New York Giants were about to do the kind of damage one doesn’t just walk away from. And perhaps I’m reading too much into this, but it feels like every Patriots loss since that day has had Gigantic fingerprints on it. No matter how many times that game is swept under the carpet, it always feels clear and present.

The Patriots have three brutal games ahead. As unbelievably tough as these opponents are, I wouldn’t be surprised if they go 3-0. This team will be a contender every year, and I do think Tom Terrific has another championship in him. But there are ghosts that need to be dealt with, sooner or later.